Monday, January 23, 2012

A Dose of Inspiration: Recharge

Ahh...taking an uneventful vacation is so nice!

My husband had planned his vacation (paid, one of those perks of being an employee) for the second week in January. I was still undecided about whether I would also be taking that time off work. We didn't have any plans of doing anything special, he mostly was taking it ... to take it. 

As one of my very best regular clients was finishing his appointment with me, he was thinking of scheduling his next appointment within that week. As I explained my uncertainty of whether I would also be taking vacation, he urged me to do it, saying that the money (my vacations are not paid!) will always come, but you never get the time back to do things differently. That sold me. (And I'm so happy, the money did come, in the form of insurance payments I'd billed a few weeks prior.)

We still didn't do anything special--really. My husband went to 2 Blazer games and his regular bowling league. But for me...it was so nice to not have to go and be somewhere. Many of you probably know that I'm beginning to itch to shift my work schedule once our youngest is in school, so that we can all be at school/at work at the same time, and all be home together--at the same time. Yes, I enjoy the flexibility of my career, and it has been tremendously helpful in avoiding daycare expenses, but it still comes with a toll of its own, and I'm ready to pay THAT debt off! ;) 

So that vacation was a wonderful way for me to recharge my batteries. Looking back, I realized my husband took his last vacation in July--but I did not. My last vacation was in February of 2011 when he and I took our first cruise together--SO awesome! That trip included my weekend workshop training to be a Certified Injury Prevention Instructor, and as soon as we landed back on the west coast, we were jolted back into the middle of buying our house. The cruise was fabulous, but the vacation ended quite abruptly.

I feel restored. My theme for this year is "Embrace." I am ready to do just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment