Thursday, February 23, 2012

A Dose of Inspiration: The Doors of Opportunity Knocking

Let me begin by saying: DON'T PANIC!

A few months ago, one of my massage school classmates told me we alumni can get a free massage each month at the student clinic. Where had this knowledge been for the 5+ years I'd been out of school?? Thinking back, it seems I may have known that, but due to the extreme complication of scheduling involved in years past, it just wouldn't have been worth all the trouble to actually get there to have that free massage. The school I went to is in Beaverton, and my family used to live in Gresham. Juggling one young child at that time, two opposing work schedules, and one car just didn't make driving a good 45 minutes both ways to get a free massage.

We're a little closer being in Oregon City now. Still juggling two opposing work schedules, one car, and now two, albeit older, kids, but I became determined to make use of this opportunity right in the palm of my hand (or should I say, a student's hand?). I've been getting my monthly massage there since November, unfortunately missing December due to holiday break and the busy-ness that always accompanies that month. 

After leaving a message to schedule my massage this month, the clinic supervisor called me back. She informed me of an opportunity to work at the school, and if I was interested, to submit my resume. My interest was piqued and I've put some thought into it. All the details are not ideal, I admit, and expressed so when I came in for my massage on Tuesday this week. As an alumni of the school, she wanted to give me that opportunity. Others have been informed as well. 

Back to that resume...guess how often you need one when you're self-employed? ;) I have yet to find my latest resume. I have one place yet to look, and I hope it's there. I'm sure I would have to completely revamp the whole thing at this point, but at least it would provide a template and not have to go entirely from scratch. 

My thoughts about this opportunity are no cause for concern. The job available sounds like it's pretty much all evenings, M-F, full time. Late evenings. Beaverton. Commuting. One car. Opposite schedules. And the light at the end of the tunnel is how far away?

Why I haven't brushed the thought away? I'm interested in learning more about the possibilities in my life. Teaching could be fun. I'm interested to see what their process for hiring into daytime positions might be. And I don't honestly think I would have gotten a cold call out of the blue to be informed of this, had I not just recently become a regular visitor to the school again. It is exciting to be even remotely considered for this position, even if I am not even remotely interested in it right now.

It's been a week since this was presented to me, and my eyes have not taken in a glimpse of my resume yet. Interviewing for a job. Yeah....not sure that's ME. Hearing that knock of opportunity is exhilarating, nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment