Friday, October 14, 2011

Recipe of the Month: Pumpkin Oat Bread

This recipe is my own creation. If you came to my open house last Saturday, this one is already familiar to you. When I made it, I didn't realize I was low on my spices, so I had to improvise a little, and those changes are noted below.


Pumpkin Oat Bread

Ingredients
1/2 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (could even be 1/2 teaspoon)
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2/3 cup canola oil
4 eggs
14 1/2 oz canned pumpkin
2/3 cup ground flax seeds
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup old fashioned oats, save some for sprinkling on top of bread 

1. Mix together sugars and spices. Add oil, eggs, and pumpkin. Mix well.
2. Stir in flax, flour, and oats.
3. Spread into 2 greased loaf pans (standard size, adjust baking time if using mini-loaf pans).
4. Sprinkle plain oats on top of batter.
5. Bake at 350* for 1 hour 10 minutes--1 hour 20 minutes.

When I made this for the open house, I was almost completely out of ground cloves, so I added in about 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice and polished off that jar too, so I also added a moderate dashing of Allspice. Still turned out great--this recipe is very adaptable and forgiving. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment